One pot is all you need for this easy braised chicken from Kelsey Barnard Clark. Onions, tomatoes and briny olives cook down to a luscious stew, smothering fork-tender chicken in layers of flavor.
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup olive juice
- ½ cup sliced green or kalamata olives
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig oregano
- Fresh basil, parsley and green onion, for garnish
- In a medium-sized Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear chicken on both sides until golden, about 5 minutes total time. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Turn heat down to low and add onions, peppers and salt. Sauté until translucent and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, olive juice, olives, bay leaves, thyme and oregano.
- Return chicken to the pot, cover and let simmer on the stove or place in a preheated oven at 350°F until broth is reduced by half and the chicken is falling apart, roughly 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve over rice, pasta or on its own.