A tasty and made-from-scratch soup that comes together quickly with the help of instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk.
- 4 cups broccoli (chopped)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepared in water. Could also use leftover mashed potatoes.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or American)
- Wash hands.
- Combine broccoli, onion, and broth in large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if soup starts to become too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon cheese over each serving.
Serving size: 1/4 recipe.
Total calories: 194; Total fat: 5g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium: 310mg; Carbohydrates: 26g; Total sugars 10g; Protein: 15g; Vitamin D: 1mcg; Calcium: 307mg; Iron: 2mg; Potassium: 921mg
Courtesy of www.choosemyplate.gov.