Although this recipe calls for a regular globe eggplant, if you see baby eggplants or other fresh seasonal varieties, they will work just as well in this tangy appetizer.
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 16 (1/2-ounce) slices multigrain baguette
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup red, orange, yellow, and green cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice eggplant into 1-inch-thick slices; brush both sides evenly with 1 tablespoon oil. Place eggplant in a single layer on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes on each side or until eggplant is tender. Brush both sides of bread slices evenly with 2 tablespoons oil. Place bread slices in a single layer on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until toasted.
- Combine eggplant, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon juice, and next 3 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon eggplant mixture on each bread slice.
- Combine arugula, tomatoes, and mint in a bowl. Drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons juice and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Divide salad mixture evenly among bread slices; top evenly with cheese.
Calories 175; Fat 9.5g; Satfat 2.1g; Monofat 5.3g; Polyfat 0.8g; Protein 6.2g; Carbohydrate 17.7g; Fiber 5.9g Cholesterol 4mg; Iron 1.2mg; Sodium 330mg; Calcium 195mg