Take this cheesy Alabama favorite from the broiler to the table in under 30 minutes.
- 1 14 ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup quick grits
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¾ cup sharp fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, flip, and stir until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.
Shopping Tips: Look for quick grits near oatmeal and other hot cereals or near cornmeal in the baking aisle.
Serving size: 3 oz. shrimp and ⅔ cup grits
Per serving: 338 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat); 2 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 116 mcg folate; 164 mg cholesterol; 1 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 641 IU vitamin A; 5 mg vitamin C; 227 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 1,090 mg sodium; 340 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: folate (29% daily value), calcium (23% dv)