- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups onion, sliced thin
- 6 medium yellow squash, sliced into ½ inch half moons (equal to roughly 10 cups)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- black pepper, 10-15 turns from a pepper mill
- 1½ -2 tsp. salt, to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large cast-iron pan, melt butter and add onions, squash and seasonings.
- Let cook down over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The squash will release their liquid and the mix will shrink to almost half its size.
- Lower the heat and stir every few minutes.
- You’re trying to create caramelization slowly, so don’t worry if the veggies stick to the pan a bit.
- Let cook for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom often. You’ll know it’s done until it’s reduced to about 4 cups or less and is golden in color.