Cut the carbs and add a burst of refreshing flavor with these tangy and slightly spicy wraps, cradled in crisp romaine lettuce.
For the turkey:
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1/2 red onion, medium diced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2/3 cup carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. unsalted peanuts
- 2/3 cup green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 heads Bibb lettuce, separated into cuplike leaves
- Sriracha or whatever hot sauce you have on hand
- Lime wedges
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. low sugar peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. sriracha or whatever hot sauce you have on hand
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Preparing the turkey:
- Warm a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, then add ground turkey. Heat until turkey has cooked through.
- Remove turkey from skillet, set aside on a plate or bowl and wipe skillet clean with a cloth or paper towel.
- Add remaining oil, reduce heat to medium and add the red onion, bell pepper, carrots and garlic. Sauté for about 3–5 minutes, then return turkey to skillet.
- Add ginger, soy sauce, peanuts and green onions. Stir to combine.
- Cook everything together for another 3–5 minutes. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients. If too thick, add a little water until it reaches desired consistency.
Once everything is ready, put a spoonful of the turkey mixture in a lettuce cup. Add a drizzle of peanut sauce, hot sauce to taste and a squeeze of lime juice. ENJOY!
Recipe courtesy of Rob Varner, SheepsHead Eats