- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced ¼ inch thick vertically like lasagna sheets
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 15 oz. cans diced, or fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups shredded parmesan
- Place sliced zucchini on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until zucchini has released a significant amount of liquid and is slightly golden. Set aside on a plate with a paper towel to drain.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, ground beef and 1 tbsp. salt. Brown the ground beef, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, pepper, garlic then sauté for 5 more minutes or until onions are translucent. Add canned tomatoes, then tomato paste and bring to a boil for 5 minutes, or let simmer for up to 30 minutes.
- Toss the shredded cheeses together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a 9×13 or 8×8 casserole dish, layer the lasagna as follows: zucchini, meat sauce, cheeses, repeat. Top with sliced fresh mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for one hour. If lasagna is runny at all after 1 hour, continue cooking at 400 until liquid has reduced.
- Let lasagna cool and set for 20 minutes before serving.
- Add chopped basil and serve.