- 4 snapper fillets, or substitute your fish of choice (if using frozen fish thaw completely before using)
- Blackening seasoning, to taste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup kiwi, peeled and small diced
- 1 cup peaches, peeled and small diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 2 tbsp. jalapeno, fine dice
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Combine the last 9 ingredients in a bowl and season with salt to taste. Set aside in the fridge until the entire meal is ready.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil to the pan. Season one side of the snapper liberally with blackening seasoning, then cook the fillets in the hot pan for 4 minutes on each side. Set aside on a plate and cover with aluminum foil while kale and asparagus finish cooking.
Ingredients for Garlic Kale and Asparagus
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody part of stem removed, and the rest cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 bunches of kale, rinsed and dried, stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
Instructions for Garlic Kale and Asparagus
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Next, add kale in batches and toss to coat in oil. When all the kale is added to the skillet add broth to the skillet, cover and steam for 7 minutes. Remove the lid, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for 3 minutes to evaporate some of the moisture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Rob Varner of Sheepshead Eats.