Warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg bring out zucchini’s natural sweetness, making these muffins a healthy breakfast treat or easy snack.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1½ cups grated zucchini
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil and honey or maple syrup, then add the eggs and beat well.
- Add milk, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend.
- Squeeze excess juice from zucchini with hands, discard juice, then stir in the zucchini.
- Stir in the flour until just combined (lumps are fine). Gently fold in the toasted nuts if desired.
- Pour the batter into a muffin pan with liners.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Store zucchini muffins in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.