You may never go back to cooking fried okra on the stove! This recipe uses only a fraction of the oil that you do when pan frying.
- 4 cups fresh-cut okra
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons Italian-style panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, panko, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese in a gallon-size ziplock bag.
- In a separate bowl, gently toss the okra with the beaten eggs until evenly coated.
- Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet (15x10x1) and place in the preheated oven for just a few minutes to warm up the oil–be careful to not let it start to smoke.
- In the meantime, add the wet okra a little at a time to the bag and shake until coated. If needed, you may add additional cornmeal and panko breadcrumbs — if the okra isn’t coated as much as you like. Carefully add the okra to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning the okra halfway through baking. To get a nice golden brown, increase oven heat to broil and watch carefully, stirring as needed.
CALORIES: 266; TOTAL FAT: 18g; SATURATED FAT: 2g; TRANS FAT: 0g; UNSATURATED FAT: 15g; CHOLESTEROL: 94mg; SODIUM: 412mg; CARBOHYDRATES: 21g; FIBER: 5g; SUGAR: 5g; PROTEIN: 9g
Courtesy of lifeloveandgoodfood.com.