Treat yourself to rich fruity flavors with this sweet frozen delight.
Makes 5–6 pints
- 8 cups watermelon in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups peeled bananas in ½-inch slices
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup of mini dark chocolate chips for “seeds” (optional)
- Put cubed watermelon and peeled bananas in a large plastic container or bowl and place in freezer until the fruit is almost frozen (should take 3–4 hours).
- Remove from the freezer and let sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Puree the fruit in a blender or food processor until smooth. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender/food processor.
- Put blended fruit in a mixing bowl, add cream, lime juice and honey and whisk together. If the cream and honey start to freeze with the fruit, let the mixture sit until it reaches the consistency of a thick smoothie and try whisking everything again. Add chocolate chips too if you’re using them.
- Store your sorbet in any container you’d like — at-home ice-cream pint containers, bowls, etc. — and return to the freezer for 3–4 hours or until frozen. Once you’re ready for a snack, remove from the freezer, let it soften slightly, scoop and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Rob Varner of Sheepshead Eats in Mobile, Alabama.