Put a healthy spin on an Alabama classic coating the tomatoes in cornmeal and frying in the oven.
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- 3. Brush 1½ teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- 4. Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- 5. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1½ teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
Per serving: 64 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat); 1 g fiber; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 49 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 2 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 388 mg sodium; 21 mg potassium