Serves 2-4 people.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 16 oz. bag dried split peas, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. smoked ham bone or shank
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sear ham for one minute then remove and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and sauté until translucent for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken broth, split peas, bay leaves, paprika and thyme then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add ham bone back into soup mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, medium low.
- Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally until peas and ham are tender, roughly 1 hour.
- Remove ham from soup, then shred or dice meat and add meat back to soup.
- Serve warm garnished with parsley, if desired.